For more information about volunteer needs listed on this page, please contact Diane Dworek at
Sign Up to Help!
For a flyer you can download now and sign up for the volunteer opportunities available, please click here. You can either drop it off at the Children's Ministry Visitor Center (B-102) on Sunday or mail it to the church (Children's Ministry, 800 Fullwood Lane, Matthews, NC 28105). Thank you for your ministry to our children!
Whether you have a nurturing spirit, the gift of teaching, a heart for prayer, or a passion for memorizing scripture, there is a place for you to serve in Children’s Ministry. No matter what your gifts are, you can be a vital part of “planting, watering, and nurturing” one of the church’s greatest resources…its children.
All of our volunteers must complete C.A.R.E. training. This is a safety and security class which includes a background screening. C.A.R.E. training can be done in person or online. For more information, contact Diane Dworek 704-814-1025 email@example.com or go to our C.A.R.E. page.
NURSERY (Newborn—2 years)
- Caregiver: Share the love of God with our youngest children by caring for them. Opportunities during the Sunday school hour, worship service, or evening worship. Positions can be once a month, every other month, quarterly, or as a substitute. Helpful passions: love for babies, toddlers, and/or two-year olds.
- Bible Storyteller: Travel to baby and toddler rooms sharing a simple curriculum and introduce a beginner catechism. Once a month. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, shepherding, creative communication.
- Youth Helper: Assist adult volunteers in the crawler through 2-year-old nurseries. 6th grade to 17 years old. Once a month. Helpful spiritual gifts: helps, shepherding, discernment.
- Laundry Team: Pick up, take home, and wash the dirty linens from the worship center nurseries. Bring back with you the following week. Once every eight weeks. Helpful spiritual gift: helps.
PRESCHOOL (3-4 year olds)
9:00AM Barnyard Sunday School
- Bible Storyteller: Creatively communicating God’s truth to a large group of preschool aged children. Serve once a month. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, creative communication.
- Small Group Leader: Shepherd a small group of children by leading a discussion of the Bible lesson and helping with crafts. No “teaching” required. Serve every other week or every week if desired. Helpful spiritual gifts: shepherding and love for young children.
- Scripture Memory Teacher: Help children to memorize Scripture (training available). Commitment varies. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, creative communication.
- Mission’s Moment Teacher: Teach the children about God’s work among the nations of the world. Visuals provided. Commitment varies. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, creative communication, evangelism.
- Music Leader: Help children to know God better through music. May use guitar, piano or voice. Commitment varies. Helpful gifts: musical ability, shepherding, love for preschool-aged children.
10:45AM Children's Bible Time
- Small Group Leader: Lead a small group of children in discussion and application of the Bible lesson. No prep or “teaching” required. Can be 7th grade through adults. Serve once every four weeks. Helpful spiritual gifts: shepherding, love for young children.
6:00PM ABC Bible Memory Class
- ABC Bible Memory Teacher: Teach Scripture memory to 4 year-olds using the alphabet in a fun-filled way. Serve month on/month off or every other week. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, creative communication, shepherding.
- ABC Bible Memory Teacher Assistant: Assist the main ABC teacher with craft, snack, and classroom management. Serve month on/month off or every other week. Helpful spiritual gifts: shepherding, helps, encouragement.
- Music Leader: Help children to learn God’s Word through music. May use guitar, piano, or voice. Serve once every four weeks. Helpful gifts: musical ability, shepherding, love for preschool-aged children.
ELEMENTARY (kindergarten - 5th grade)
9:00AM Elementary Sunday School
- Large Group Teacher: Creatively communicate God’s truth to a large group of elementary-age children. Serves every other week or weekly if desired. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, creative communication
- Small Group Leader: Share the love and truth of God in a small group setting, using activities provided. Build relationships with group members. No “teaching” required. Weekly for a semester. Helpful spiritual gifts: shepherding, love for elementary-aged children.
- Set-up Team: Set up the gym before Sunday school starts. Once a month. Helpful spiritual gift: helps.
10:45AM Children's Worship Training (1st & 2nd grade)
- Adult Assistant: Take attendance and help children to be engaged in the teaching. No teaching is required. Once a month. Helpful spiritual gifts: helps, shepherding, love for elementary-aged children.
- Youth Helper: Assist the adult volunteers. For 9th - 12th graders. Once a month. Helpful spiritual gifts: helps, shepherding.
SPECIAL NEEDS MINISTRIES
- King’s Kids Teacher: Share your love for God’s Word while you teach Bible lessons to our special needs Sunday school class (9 AM). Can be a every other week or weekly position for a semester or rotating team. Substitutes also needed. Helpful spiritual gifts: teaching, creative communication.
- Special Needs Buddy: Help give each child in our church the attention he or she requires to have a safe, enjoyable, and positive experience on Sunday morning. Buddies are personally assigned to a child and serve every other week at 9 AM or once a month at 10:45 AM so that they will be able to cultivate a close relationship. Helpful spiritual gifts: shepherding and love for children with special needs.
- Prayer Team: Pray for specific prayer requests received by email weekly from the Children’s Ministry staff to pray for throughout the week. Helpful spiritual gifts: intercession, discernment.
- Greeter Team: Greet and register visiting families, assign and direct them to their children’s nursery or classroom. Help people experience Jesus' love and grace when they enter our doors. 30 minute commitment, once a month at either 8:45 AM or 10:30 AM Sunday morning. Helpful spiritual gifts: hospitality, encouragement. Also helpful: passion for visitors, attention to details.
- Refreshment Team: Bring two dozen store-bought or home-baked breakfast items to the Children’s Ministry Welcome Center to be enjoyed by the volunteers serving that day. Once a month. Helpful spiritual gifts: hospitality, helps.
- Craft Preparation Team: Prepare materials for weekly lessons weekly or monthly as needed. Helpful spiritual gift: helps.
- Toy Distribution Team: Distribute toys to nurseries on Sunday mornings. Helpful spiritual gifts: hospitality, helps.
- Library & Material Maintenance Team: Prepare book donations and reshelve borrowed books. Return borrowed materials to their proper storage place. Monthly or as needed. Helpful spiritual gifts: hospitality, helps.
- Shopping Team: Shop quarterly to replenish items used in the nurseries and welcome center. Helpful spiritual gift: helps.
- Restocking Team: Replenish supplies used in the nurseries, classrooms, welcome center, and bulletin prize box 1-2 times per month as needed. Helpful spiritual gifts: hospitality, helps.
- Youth Outreach Team: Works with young children at our ministry outreach event by running a game or craft table. Commitment is 4 times a year. Helpful spiritual gifts: hospitality, helps, love for children.
- Cleaning Team: Deep clean one nursery and organize/light clean three other nurseries. Once a month, during the week. Helpful spiritual gifts: helps.